Monday, May 5, 2014

Pecha Kucha

The theme of the American College Personnel Association's annual conference in Indianapolis this spring was "Reinvent." As part of the reinvention of the conference, there were several innovative and exciting opportunities for professionals. One of those ideas new to the conference was a Pecha Kucha night.

Pecha Kucha is a style of presentation that involves showing 20 images for 20 seconds each. The images advance automatically while the presenter narrates. The style is all about precision - sending a message in a short amount of time.  In addition to keeping presentations short and to the point, the style keeps the audience engaged. It was an amazing experience at ACPA. While I certainly am not in the big leagues like the presenters in Indianapolis, I thought I'd give it a shot.

The Gustavus Residential Life professional staff is doing "Knowledge Drops" this spring. Each week a professional staff member presents for 5-10 minutes on a topic they are interested in, passionate about or just think the staff would benefit from hearing.

So my Knowledge Drop became my first attempt at Pecha Kucha. I thought it would be a neat introduction to the style of presenting and also allow me to share some info.

My Pecha Kucha presentation is "Lost in Translation: Why Michael Jordan Would Be a Horrible High School Basketball Coach." It's about how and why the most skilled among us have difficultly translating their talent into an ability to teach that talent. Well, the presentation is only 6:40 long, so I shouldn't say anymore!

Enjoy!

Warning: The volume isn't so great on this recorded version... make sure to crank it up! Also, there's no way I really sound like that in real life. Right?



No comments: