Monday, October 13, 2014

Proving Yourself Right

I still get caught up in this. I want to be sure I'm the one with the right answer. And while I'm constantly humbled by the fact that there's no possible way I can know everything, I still want to be right.

I've realized that no matter what I do, there is always someone somewhere doing it better than I ever could. It's the old adage about how it's more important to surround yourself with smart people than to try to be the smartest person in your organization.

It's draining to prove others wrong. It inhibits partnerships and collaboration. It leads to quicker burn-out. And it just makes for a crappy work environment.

So focus on proving yourself right.
  • Be an advocate for your own ideas.
  • Learn from your failures. (We all make them. Accept it and learn from it).
  • Don't forget to celebrate your successes - even the small ones.


No comments: