Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The first post...

My name is Charlie and I'm the Director of Residential Life at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota. I've been in this position since July of 2011.

I have been investing time and energy into Web 2.0 and social media over the last six months and continue to stumble upon blogs by student life and residential life professionals. I often find information on these blogs that motivates and inspires me. I also often find things that don't interest me. But that's the internet, right? 

I thought about whether or not I should create a blog. What do I have to say? Who would care enough to read it? Do I have time and energy to focus on writing a blog? One great hesitation I have is that I'm not an expert... on anything. But the longer I am working in this field, the more I realize I don't NEED to be an expert. And perhaps I should realize that even if only a couple of people read or care about this blog, that it has tremendous value for ME - to get my thoughts out there and share. My thoughts are inspired by the work I do every day in residential life and by my coursework in the higher ed doctoral program at the University of Minnesota.

So welcome to the blog. I hope I can keep up a reasonable posting pace and I hope that at least once or twice I write about something you care to read.

No comments: